Today we welcomed Margie Thomas of Compass Bank to the table! Also at the table were:
Rod Borom, Habijax ReStore
Judith Chapple, Big Brothers Big Sisters & Guardian Ad Litem
Jennifer Connell, The Self Movement
Beth Eifert, Thrasher-Horne Center for the Arts
Christy Fitzgerald, The Way Free Medical Clinic
Catrine Fredrikson, Rotary Club, Concert on the Green
Tracy Johnston, Take Stock in Children
Amy Parker, The Reinhold Foundation
Lee Sackett, CJ Acres Animal Rescue Farm
Yancy Wright-Tison, Clay County Habitat ReStore
Jennifer Connell used a ‘speed-dating’ format to help us brainstorm ways to minimize the tasks that drain us. Two of the ‘matches’ included:
– Christy wondered how best to educate boards that “they sometimes need to spend money to make money.” Amy P. said she would bring that question back to the Reinhold Foundation Trustees as a potential future speaker-topic.
– Margie said she would like a resource to match her employees with volunteer opportunities. The group discussed using the website to advertise volunteer needs, and Yancy wrote to Beth after the meeting to volunteer to help create such a resource at www.shapingclay.org (thank you so much for stepping up, Yancy!).
By the end of the meeting, we agreed that the very act of talking to each other – and getting to know each other – like we did today has many benefits:
– it communicates our needs to others so that they’ll know who to call if they discover a helpful resource;
– it gives us a sympathetic ear and a quick source of mutual encouragement.
A couple ideas that haven’t found a ‘match’ yet (please keep them in mind if you can help):
– Lee is looking for an accountant who would like to barter volunteer tax services for volunteer marketing help (contact Lee at http://cj-acres.org/)
– Christy is seeking a volunteer coordinator to serve The Way Free Medical Clinic for at least a 1-year stint (contact http://thewayclinic.org/)
– personal coaches to help busy administrators learn to stay focused on what’s most important.
All-in-all, it was a really FUN and helpful meeting! Thank you, Jennifer, for being our guide; thank you to all who joined us; and a happy weekend to everyone!
Peace and joy –
Organization Development Consultant
Coordinator, Shaping Clay Helping Professionals’ Group